A temporary committee has been set up to run the Swanage TC group. This has been done to enable the group to form the structure of a society, which is essential for external funding and long term operational agreements.

Our first official AGM will be held at 11:00 on Saturday April the 13th. The venue for the meeting will be the meeting room, in Unit 12b, Purbeck Business Centre, Victoria Avenue Industrial Estate, Swanage (BH19 1AU), next to the railway works. At this meeting a permanent committee will be elected.

All people who have financially contributed to the group, will soon receive an invite to this meeting.

A formal membership system is being set up, for people to be part of the TC group on an annual basis, rather than being a shareholder, as with many other railway preservation groups.

We are planning to have a group meeting in the beer garden of the Huntsman pub at Eridge on Sat 2nd June between 14:00 and 15:00. Subject to availability on the day 33063 will cover the diesel turn at the Spa Valley Railway. Please let me know in advance if you will be attending.

Richard

The first working party did not happen, however the following Friday James Cox, Richard Sinclair, Steve Thorpe and I visited the MRC. Steve and Richard Sinclair had been to Coventry to pick up some covers for the TC - thanks to Dave Burbridge for setting this up. We did not do any work but instead spent the time looking at the vehicles to work out which order the work should be done. It has been decided that  DTSO 76322 will be done first followed by TBSK 70824. On future visits volunteer work will concentrate on covering three vehicles followed by work on TBSK 70824.

We are trying to arrange a Group Meeting towards the end of May / beginning of June. This will probably be in London.

Richard.

Since the appeal for standing orders was initiated in December 2011, they have started mounting up and have now reached the first target level which will cover the storage costs of the unit at Butterley. The next target level will allow for a DTC to be moved into the workshops for more intensive work to be carried out. In the mean time, with the help of some lump sum donations, some limited work can be carried out, mostly protecting a DTC by making it water-tight.

We will do as much work to make the vehicle water tight as possible. We will first check which of the driving trailers is the best to start work on. Taking windows out and resealling them costs about £200 per window. We need to check which Driving Trailer needs the least doing but I think we will spend about £2000 on this.

Work on the cab end will cost about £1000. Modification of the guttering will cost about £500. Then it will be a choice of door pillars at about £400 a go or welding the other end of the coach which is always difficult to estimate costs for until you open them up. It could cost £1000 to £3000 to sort.
Chart of standing orders over the last three months

As I have been asked by a number of people if we are going to go to Butterley to work on the unit I have decided to try and pull a work weekend together. The first one of these will provisonally be the weekend of 24th / 25th March. If you are interested in helping please let me know. If it is dry we will look to protect some of the areas where paint has come off and if we can find a safe way up onto the roof we will look to start protecting this on one of the Driving Trailers and the FK.

 

As we will have to purchase a large amount of paint for the project we are thinking about whether or not we can get people to sponsor a can of paint at £35 a throw. It is estimated that the project will take about 80 cans. If we go down this road we will put the names of the people up in a frame in the brake vehicle. More on this in the coming weeks.

 

Once again thank you to those that have set up Standing Orders, please keep spreading the word. The more people that we have involved the quicker the unit can be made operational.

 

Cheers 
 
Richard

Random Gallery Image

iw_20091217_2037341480.jpg